COVID-19 Vaccination Policy

Schubas and Lincoln Hall require all patrons, performers, and staff to provide one of the following for entry to events:


Proof of full vaccination, with last dose administered at least two weeks prior to entry  
Negative COVID-19 test dated no more than 72 hours prior to entry. Test results must come from an official testing center, home test results will not be accepted.


*Please note that this policy is subject to change at any time. Refer to this page for the most up-to-date information regarding the vaccination policy for shows at Lincoln Hall and Schubas. 




WHAT ARE ACCEPTABLE FORMS OF VACCINATION PROOF? CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card or an official immunization record from the jurisdiction, state, or country where the vaccine was administered or a digital or physical photo of such a card or record, reflecting the person’s name, vaccine brand, and dates administered. Additionally, individuals over the age of 16 will need to provide identification with the same identifying information as the proof of vaccination.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE FULLY VACCINATED? Fully vaccinated refers to a person who has received their primary series of COVID-19 vaccines. People are considered fully vaccinated:

  • 2 weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or
  • 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine

If you don’t meet these requirements, regardless of your age, you are NOT fully vaccinated.

IS PROOF OF VACCINATION FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY VALID? Yes, proof of vaccination from another country is valid.

CAN I STILL ATTEND WITH A NEGATIVE TEST? Yes. You must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test administered no more than 72 hours prior to entry. Test results must come from an official testing center, home test kits will not be accepted.

ARE MASKS REQUIRED? Masks are strongly recommended but not required.

WHAT IF I LOST MY VACCINATION CARD? If you lost your CDC card before getting a second dose, you can ask for a replacement card when you get your second dose.

If you lose your CDC card after you get your final dose, you can choose any of these options:

  1. Contact the clinic or health provider where you were vaccinated. Ask for a replacement card. They will have a record of your vaccine there.
  2. Get your immunization history through your healthcare provider. You can look it up yourself, in your online health record under the immunization history section. If you don’t see it, ask your healthcare provider how to access your COVID-19 vaccine record.
  3. Access your immunization records by visiting the State of Illinois Vax Verify portal. Minors must have a parent/guardian request their record using the form on the Immunization Record Request and then email it to

WHERE CAN I GET THE VACCINE? Visit for additional information on how to obtain your vaccination.

STILL NEED HELP? Email us at